sexta-feira, 14 de setembro de 2012

Guest Post: Kevin Moore


«I've been a writer for as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are of punching out one-page little adventure stories on the heavy keys of the old typewriter my mother kept in her office closet. My interest in writing has only grown since then, and this summer marks the first time I have tried to publish my fiction.  Three of my short stories, My Lovely Wife, Edith, Sorrow and Demons and Waves and War are now available online. I write in several diverse genres, but my favorites are historical fiction, action/adventure and suspense. My novel, which is still in progress, is an action/adventure tale set in the American Prohibition era. For me, there is something unique and special that goes on when someone reads a piece of good fiction. He or she not only watches the story unfold in their mind's eye, but they are transported into an exciting and compelling experience. That is what I strive for, and hopefully I hit that mark at least some of the time. Learning to write has involved a lifelong journey as a reader, and among the authors who have most influenced me with their style are: J.K. Rowling, Elizabeth Kostova, Clive Cussler, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, J.R.R. Tolkien, Edgar Alan Poe and most recently Stephen King. While writing full-time is the “dream," the less glamorous but just as fulfilling career I'm pursuing is as an historian. I'm currently working on my thesis to finish my MA in History and am in the process of investigating Ph.D programs. Special thanks go out to my mom who fostered my love of a good story at a young age, my wonderful wife who is always my first and most important reviewer and to all the English teachers I've encountered over the years who taught me the finer points of writing.»



«Sou escritor desde que me lembro. Algumas das minhas primeiras memórias reportam-se a escrever histórias de aventura de uma página nas teclas pesadas da velha máquina de escrever que a minha mãe guardava no seu armário do escritório. O meu interesse pela escrita tem crescido desde então, e este verão marca a primeira vez que tentei publicar a minha ficção. Três dos meus contos - My Lovely Wife, Edith; Sorrow and Demons e Waves and War - estão agora disponíveis online. Escrevo em vários géneros, mas os meus favoritos são ficção histórica, ação/ aventura e suspense. O meu romance, que ainda está em andamento, é um conto de ação/ aventura na época da Lei Seca americana. Para mim, há algo único e especial que acontece quando alguém lê uma peça de boa ficção. Ele ou ela não só vê a história desenrolar-se na sua mente, mas são transportados para uma experiência emocionante e convincente. É para isso que me esforço, e espero atingir essa marca pelo menos algumas das vezes. Aprender a escrever envolveu uma viagem ao longo da vida como um leitor, e entre os autores que mais me influenciaram com seu estilo estão: JK Rowling, Elizabeth Kostova, Clive Cussler, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, JRR Tolkien, Edgar Alan Poe e, mais recentemente, Stephen King. Escrever a tempo inteiro é o "sonho"; a vertente menos glamourosa, mas tão gratificante enquanto carreira que procuro é a de historiador. Atualmente estou a trabalhar na minha tese para terminar meu mestrado em História e estou em processo de investigação de programas Ph.D. Agradecimentos especiais para a minha mãe, que estimulou o meu amor por uma boa história numa idade jovem; para a minha esposa maravilhosa, que é sempre a minha primeira e mais importante revisora; e para todos os professores de inglês que encontrei ao longo dos anos, que me ensinaram os pontos mais delicados da escrita.»


Twitter: @KevMooreWrites

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário